Monday, July 29, 2013

Scooby's Workshop Leaving Youtube




So I actually had something lined up to talk about today, but something was brought to my attention that deserves greater spotlight to talk about.

This year has already been an incredible year for me with all of the new things coming down the pipeline and all of the new experiences, like my recent trip to Comic-Con where I got to meet some awesome people I never thought I'd get the chance to.

But 2013 has also brought sadness, as I have to see a lot of things near and dear to my heart go away. Included in this is the ending of two of my favorite shows (Dexter and Breaking Bad), the closing of one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego (Croce's....where I didn't get to say hi to Ingrid one last time), and now the shutting down of not only one of the most influential Youtube channels of my life, but the end of one of the most influential people in my life.

It is with great sorrow, that I have to talk about the end of Scooby's Workshop on Youtube.


For those of you unfamiliar with Scooby, he was one of if not THE first true bodybuilding / fitness channels on Youtube. He offered straight-forward and real bodybuilding advice and tips that required no gimmicks or fees. He covered a wide-range of topics and focused heavily on solid form, being safe, and the extreme importance of nutrition.

Recently, on the site 4chan,  personal information of Scooby's was released which resulted in people using that information to call his workplace and threaten / yell profanities at him, and even something as terrible as showing up to his house to apparently threaten his family. It is all overwhelmingly awful that something like this would happen to someone as positive and awesome as Scooby, and I'm even having a hard time believing this as I'm writing about it.

While this story certainly is crazy, that's not really my main reason for highlighting it.

Scooby was THE person who got me into bodybuilding. It was his videos that inspired me to finally get into the gym and make the image I had of the physique I wanted a reality. He drilled into my head at the infancy of my bodybuilding career how immensely important nutrition was and how it should be the main focus to any body transformation program. He taught me proper technique and form. He gave me the building blocks to put myself in the proper mindset and have the proper approach to the bodybuilding game that, even to this day, still turn to years later.

When I needed bodybuilding advice, Scooby was there. When times got hard and I didn't know where to find the answers, I watched Scooby's videos to get inspired and remind myself why I kept going back on the grind every day in the gym, and to refresh my memory or get new ideas on the proper way to do exercises.

Your videos are going to be missed Scooby. I hope you realize just how many people you inspired and gave new purpose to when they needed it the most. You did a great thing, and helped usher in a new era of amazing Youtube Bodybuilding channels and are the father of the Youtube fitness community.......a community that is very close to my heart.

You helped build the image and lifestyle of the Jtrain. If I didn't have your straight-forward, no b.s. advice at the beginning, I would almost certainly have not made it or continue to be where I am today with my bodybuilding. I thank you so much for the impact you had on my life. I will take all of the principles you gave me and pass them on to everyone else I know who has a dream of fitness greatness, or who do not think they are capable of acheiving such goals. You are the man Scooby. You are an inspiration. And I hope you know that.

Today I vow to have one of the most intense workouts of my life in honor of you. I'm also going to post your video about alcohol and bodybuilding that first got me seriously thinking about getting into bodybuilding at the end of this post.

Auf Wiedersehen Buddy.

-Jtrain




No comments:

Post a Comment