Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Video Blog: Biceps Training Tips!

Hello again Jtrain Nation!

So my last video blog post (vlog post?) was so successful and fun to do that I decided to try it out again for today's post.  



 In this video, I discuss some techniques and principles I've discovered over the years training my biceps that have made me at least feel like I had an amazing and beneficial workout. I will of course also give a discussion below on the points I make in the video in case you like reading better, or just want a refresher of what you saw in the video.

Biceps  are a pretty laid back and forgiving muscle group. By that I mean that they can grow pretty easily despite how much you may be giving up on attention to form. Biceps in my experience really only need a good deal of general stimulation to start growing as opposed to other muscle groups where your differing levels of form can make all the difference in your results.

HOWEVER, there are still techniques and minor "tweaks" that you can use if you think you're plateauing or don't feel like you've had a good workout. When I first started paying attention to these tweaks my mind was blown, and focusing on these kinds of techniques and ideals have really helped to improve my workouts I'd say.

I first want to give credit to a well-known bodybuilder, Ben Pakulski. Please check out his Youtube channel, website, or any other form of media he's on. He's the one who first got me thinking about these ideas and, in turn, helped improve my workouts. He also gives some of the best advice I've ever seen on form and technique.

The biceps muscle is made up of a short and long head that function as one muscle and works to rotate the forearm up and outward.

Many people focus solely on moving their forearms up in the form of curls during their biceps workout. And while that's the correct motion (assuming proper form), what if one were to take advantage of the biceps' propensity to also rotate outward?

So here's the adjustment you can make: when your biceps muscle is at its end range of motion during a standard curl, to the point it doesn't feel like you can curl any further, continue to curl OUTWARD. That is, follow a line of drive that is not straight towards your shoulder, but rather heads towards and alongside the outside of your biceps. You'll feel your standard squeeze from the curl, but you'll feel an even better, more intense squeeze when you go outward. This, I believe, is because you're actually doing a complete range of motion as opposed to a nearly full range of motion. You therefore get a more complete repetition and potentially more stimulation in the biceps.

Also make sure that when doing biceps exercises that your elbows are pinned to your sides and that you do not recruit your shoulders at all into the movement. All flexing and movement should be initiated and finished by the biceps. Furthermore, consider working out each biceps muscle individually so that 100% of your attention is being placed on each side of your body for optimal levels of stress and stimulation.

I hope that these tips and techniques makes sense and help you during your next biceps workout!

-Jtrain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*Have a question about natural bodybuilding / fitness / nutrition / stress? Need some advice? Email me at jtrainfitness@gmail.com and I will answer it on this blog! Be sure to enter your email to receive alerts for when the next blog post has come out, and be sure to tell your friends about this blog! Follow me on twitter @jtrainfitness and tell your friends to do the same!*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment